Not quite what I was expecting.
I planned out my painting and thought I did my prep well, I taped off all the panes on Friday. Planning to paint the first coat Saturday. It had all been Sanded the weekend before.
What I hadn't taken into account was mother nature.
Friday night was cold, really cold, snowing in surrounding areas. This meant that our heating was on and the window panes got covered in condensation. I wiped it all down as best I could and checked the tape was still adhered it seemed to be OK, I let it dry out a bit more then I went ahead and painted. I did my second coat on Sunday. When it was touch dry I scored the lines with a knife blade at the points where I could see the paint and tape were 'bonding' to ensure a nice straight line and no removal of paint with Tape.
When I removed the tape this is what I found on most panes and in varying degree's
|A particularly bad one|
|Most that are affected are like this.|
Watered down, bleeding paint. It is more prolific on the lower panes and in most cases limited to the bottom section, obviously where the moisture was most concentrated as it ran down. So I have nice white frames and paint stained glass whilst I try to decide the most bearable method of removing it all. Thankfully I had opted for a water based rust proofing paint so it will wash off with some elbow grease and scrape off quite easily if I can find/think of a suitable implement with which to do it. However will be a tedious time consuming process.
|My slightly marred view.|
I have yet to do the second coat on the opening part of the window and have not yet started the sills or surrounds. I have to let this first section be where I start learning from and its a valuable lesson I have learned!